HAMMER 2 DUAL CHANNEL VALVE EQ
World-Class Sound Quality • Amazingly Easy to Use
One of A-Designs most praised sound sculpting creations is the HM2EQ, a dual-mono, three-band equaliser that’s completely at home on the main mix outputs, but is also an outstanding tool for tracking. It’s one of a very select few audio tools that enhances sound simply by running signal through it, thanks in part to an ingenious filtering system that passes musical 2nd order valve harmonics while eliminating unwanted noise.
It’s also so good at adding “air” to vocals, carefully crafted punch to instruments or just the right texture to an overall mix. On top of which, its innovative design lets you bring the Hammer down as hard as you like – it’s all but impossible to make it sound bad!
Now comes a new version, the HAMMER 2, following input from engineers and producers, extending the frequencies, adding shelving on the lows and highs, and switching from continuous-sweep pots to 31 detent controls for repeatability. The frequency bands nicely overlap into each other.
The Hammer couldn’t be easier to use. Its frequency range covers 30Hz to 15kHz. Each channel features six detented rotary controls: three frequency selector knobs (Lo, Mid, Hi) which are stepped for easy recall, each with an accompanying gain knob providing continuously variable boost or cut of 12dB.
Each band has a selectable centre frequency, and overlaps with the other bands in such a way that makes for a seamless transition throughout the entire spectrum. Each channel also features individual toggle switches for EQ in/out, as well as Lo Cut (84Hz) and Hi Cut (8kHZ) filters, that allow engineers to perform utilitarian EQ chores while still being able to bring the full power of The Hammer’s three bands to bear.
Mainly intended as a “broad stroke” equaliser, the Hammer 2’s bandwidth (Q) is self-adjusting (floating), based on a combination of the amount of gain applied and the dynamics and frequency content of the program material. The Hammer’s unique ability to have its Q “move with the music” is one of the keys to its incredible musical performance, and is another reason why it’s difficult to make the Hammer sound bad at any frequency or gain setting.
Along with its innovative valve-harmonic filtering circuit, a pair of carefully selected 12AT7 valves (offering the most consistent control of any valve) and a custom heavy duty toroidal power transformer add the final touches to the Hammer’s glorious signal path.
Like its twin – the A-Designs “NAIL” compressor – the Hammer 2 features a black, custom-milled, brushed faceplate with aluminium control knobs, a heavy-duty Carling toggle power switch, and a big blue jewel power indicator lamp – overall, a stunning combination of modern-retro looks that jumps out of the rack.
The Hammer is an inspired design whose sonic signature is far greater than the sum of its components. Perfectly happy in tracking applications or as an insert effect on individual channels, it is the ultimate full-range finishing device for sub-mixes and master outputs.
“Equalisation is, and always will be, an area where the subjective result far outweighs what is written on the spec sheet — and in the case of the Hammer, I really like what I hear! “
Click here for the User Manual
Click here for Session Recall Sheet
HAMMER 2 FEATURES:
- World-class, three-band, dual-mono valve/hybrid equaliser.
- Designed to sound highly musical for larger EQ functions typically found on expensive mastering.
- Smooth, super-fidelity EQ, suitable for very high-end applications.
- Beautiful-sounding broad EQ-shaping across several octaves with no adverse effect on tone.
- Clean and airy high end.
- Warmth, transparency, and quality sound.
- Detented variable boost and cut controls.
- Fixed frequency settings with highly musical overlapping bands and floating “Q”.
- Low-cut and high-cut filters and bypass.
- Transformer-less 12AT output tubes.
- Custom-milled aluminium knobs and faceplate with EQ in/out, low and high-cut toggle switches.
- Heavy-duty Carling power toggle switch.
HAMMER 2 SPECIFICATIONS:
- Frequency Response: -3dB points @ 5Hz and 40kHz
- Noise Floor: -94dbm with 30kHz bandwidth
- Low boost: +12dB; cut: -12dB
- Mid boost: +12dB; cut: -12dB
- High boost: +12dB; cut: -12dB
- Low-frequencies switch: 30Hz/50Hz/100Hz/150Hz/200Hz/300Hz/400Hz/470Hz/560Hz Shelving @ 30/60/125
- Mid-frequencies switch: 125Hz/175Hz/ 250Hz/500Hz/800Hz/1.2kHz/1.6kHz/2kHz/2.7kHz3.3kHz/3.9kHz/4.7kHz
- High-frequencies switch: 1.8kHz/ 2.5kHz/3.5kHz/5kHz/7.5kHz/10kHz/15kHz/20kHz/40kHz Shelving @ 4.8k/12.5k/30k
- Low-cut filter: 84Hz
- High-cut filter: 8kHz
- Bandwidth (Q): Floating
- THD> .08@ 1Khz
- Power Requirements: 120/230 VAC – 42W
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 19” x 3½” x 10”
- Weight 4.5 kilos /10 lb. (Shipping weight 5.4kilos / 12 lb.)